Day Seventeen

I am thankful for the use of poetry to share my faith in the classroom. Since my advanced class is towards the end of their poetry unit, I decided to have them analyze Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." Many of us know this primarily as a hymn, but it was well loved poem, long before it was set to music. In a society where religion is not allowed inside the classroom, I am truly grateful for moments like these.
Below is a copy of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, courtesy of carols.org.uk and a link to my favorite version of the hymn on YouTube.
I heard the bells on Christmas Day Their old, familiar carols play, And wild and sweet The words repeat Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And thought how, as the day had come, The belfries of all Christendom Had rolled along The unbroken song Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Till, ringing, singing on its way The world revolved from night to day, A voice, a chime, A chant sublime Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Then from each black, accursed mouth The cannon thundered in the South, And with the sound The Carols drowned Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And in despair I bowed my head; ‘There is no peace on earth,’ I said; ‘For hate is strong, And mocks the song Of peace on earth, good-will to men!’
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: ‘God is not dead; nor doth he sleep! The Wrong shall fail, The Right prevail, With peace on earth, good-will to men!’

Comments

Popular Posts