I is for Inspiration

From time to time we all find ourselves bored with what is in our closets. We look at our wardrobes and scream “ I have nothing to wear!” Sometimes this is the first clue that we need to revaluate what is in our wardrobes. Other times, this means that we need an “energy boost” to our current wardrobe. We need inspiration.
Inspiration is not far away. The first place to look is Pinterest. Fashion boards are a dime a dozen. Likewise, Instagram has at least eight different style challenges going on each month. Join a style challenge or two and shop your wardrobe. I repost tons of style challenges each month. You can see them on my Instagram page @bblackwil.
There are a couple of image consultants who offer wardrobe planners and shop your wardrobe. Jill Chivers of shopyourwardrobe.com has a free pdf monthly planner with basic prompts allowing you to pick and choose the items from your own closet. Likewise Imogen Lamport of insideoutstyleblog.com also has a free weekly wardrobe planner.
Create list of people (bloggers, icons, and celebrities, etc…) who you admire and why you admire their style. (Below, I've provided a few individuals whose style I admire).

It is important to remember that when you're looking for inspiration, especially from celebrities or other fashion icons, not to copy their style verbatim. You run the risk of looking like a knock-off. Take bits and pieces of their style and incorporate it in your current wardrobe.

Example: I love the wild prints found in Jill Chiver's wardrobe. However, I'm not one to do mix bright colors with animal prints. I dabble here and there. Mostly with my shoes. That's comfortable for me.

I love Stacy London's style when she was on TLC's What Not to Wear. I'm not into high heels. They hurt my feet and aren't practical for my lifestyle. But I can take the same concept and apply it to a flat which fits more into my lifestyle.


I have a personal list of those whose style I admire, and whether you realize it or not, you probably have one too.

Jill Chiver's. Jill is an Australian Stylist who has a penchant for animal print. She has this amazing ability to pair bright, in your face colors with leopard prints. It's wild and I love it.





The Duchess of Cambridge. Let's face it. She has to be nearly every woman's style icon. She does classic and effortless like no one else.




Stacy London. I love her modern, trendy, feminine attire. It is right up my alley. She always looks so polished and chic.





Taylor Swift. I love her fall and winter wardrobe. It's modest, classic, and effortless with just the right amount of trend.





One other thing I do to find inspiration is to create a mood board. I find that create a mood board of all the outfits, textures, fabrics, and designs that appeal to me helps to create a wardrobe that is more in tune with my personality and phase in life. For example, I love the look of leather silk and denim together. But I love the look of broken glass, and mother of pearl tiles. The point of a mood board is to focus on you and what appeals to you in regards to your five senses.

Comments

Popular Posts