Fall Colored Denim: Orchid


My mother has a love for orchids. She grows them, buys them, and has received many of them as gifts. Some of the most striking orchids were those with deep saturated colors like the chocolate orchid (which I still think smells like chocolate and doesn’t just smell like it). Another orchid, the celine blue orchid, is a gorgeous violet shade that simply sings when you see it. Pantone has a few color selects dedicated to various hues of orchid purple such as radiant orchid, wild orchid, fair orchid, and amethyst orchid to name a few. This denim skirt is the perfect shade of orchid, and I am so excited to show you four amazing ways to style an orchid denim skirt.



1.Neutrals. I consider deep orchid to be a very close cousin of Ultra Violet (2018 Pantone color of the year). This rich purple is going to look fabulous with any neutral. As we meander our way through fall, some of my favorite neutrals to pair with orchid are: army green, navy blue, black, and charcoal. For a fresh approach to the end of summer and the beginning of fall, a crisp white blouse is the perfect counterpart to orchid.
I wanted something stark and on the cusp of fall, so I went with black and gray along side orchid purple. I added a punch of color with these blue/green snake print flats.





2. Colors and Seasonal color trends. Pairing colors with purple is easy when you use a color wheel. That is old news. I want to focus on seasonal color trends with orchid. The important part to remember is matching tone. Darks with darks, lights with lights (unless their neutrals) and wearing color will be easy. The dark hue of orchid lends it the perfect match to many of the fall color trends this year. My particular favorite is pairing it with queztel green and mustard yellow. I also love the analogus look of pairing orchid with burgundy or wine red.
In this ensemble, I paired a quetzal green top with a slate blue headwrap and gray flats.





3. Textures and Metallics. Mixing textures and metallics with denim adds unexpected personality to an otherwise casual outfit staple. I love the simplicity and elegance of chiffon with denim. Likewise, added a pop of sparkle through a scarf, pair of shoes, headband, or embellishments on a blouse are just as fantastic. Never limit yourself to just chiffon and shimmer. Fabric textures like herringbone, tweed, faux suede, faux fur, and faux leather make a different personality statement.
I love the look of leather, chiffon (or silk) with denim. This outfit is hits that perfect texture sweet spot. Here I have a gray faux leather jacket paired with a white chiffon blouse, and black faux suede booties. For added texture and interest I added a lace metallic head band which mirrors the embellished neckline of the blouse.



4. Patterns and Print. Pattern and print also add personality to an outfit. Stripes are more classic and traditional, animal print is a bit more wild and rebellious, flowers are a bit more feminine and romantic. Unicorns and dinosaurs are a more creative. Plaid is more laidback and casual. Whatever suits your personality go for it.
I channeled by inner Jill Chivers with this outfit. I paired a cheetah print tunic print with this orchid denim skirt and pulled the outfit together with brown faux suede flats and a nutmeg brown head band.

Comments

Popular Posts