S is for Shape



When it comes to styling yourself, focus on your shape, the fit of the clothes, and the proportion of your body. Size means very little. Within the United States the difference between sizes from high end designers like Ralph Lauren to fast fashion shops like JCP is huge. Your grandmothers size six dress from 40 years ago is the same size as a Ives St. Laurent dress today. That hasn’t changed. However, a size six from fast fashion shops like JCP is similar to a high end size 18. Why? Because designers cut for the body. They cut and design for body shape and proportion. Fast fashion stores design and cut for profit. They know that if they can make you feel good in skirt that reads size 8 inside of size 20, you’re more likely to continue to shop where you’re a size 8. It’s all pshycological.
Take a look at this:
In the 1960s (The Mad Men Era) a size 14 today would have been a size 28.




A size 18 in 2001 is a size 16 today.



A size 6 in 1970 would be a size 00 today.



Even in vanity sizes (department store/non designer brand sizes) differ. Just look at the differences between the these major brands.




Below I have a few skirts from my wardrobe. All are different sizes. All fit. All have different waist and hip measurements. Despite the glaring differences in the size labels, the measurements all fit me, especially in my largest area; my hip. (Yeah pear shape bodies). That’s the important part; the fit.

Be Modest Boutique: I wear a size L. W: 33, Hip: 38.


Jade MacKenzie Apparel: I wear a size 8. W: 31, Hip: 40.




Shop Skirted Fancy: I wear a size XL (regular denim)-XXL (wax denim/faux suede): W: 35/37 Hip: 40/42



SevenTwoDenim: I wear a size 16. W: 37, Hip: 41.


Inherit Boutique: I wear a size 10. W: 32.5, Hip: 40.



These are vastly different sizes, even the measurements vary within a few inches of each other. I could fixate on the size, and shop only where I fit into the smallest size. But that’s misleading myself and in the end I am only limiting myself and my clothing options. When I focus on fit, and pay close attention to the garment measurements, then I ensure that I will the best fit for my body type.
So stop beating yourself up. Just stop it. You’re going to look longer and leaner, you’re going to look thinner and more put together when you ignore size and dress for fit, shape, and proportion.

Comments

Popular Posts