Colored Denim Skirt: Mauve



My signature colored denim skirt series is back with some new surprises. Today, I'm sharing with you how to style a mauve denim skirt. This is a post I have been super eager to share with you since I shared the post on how I made this mauve denim skirt. What do we really know about mauve? Mauve runs the gamut when it comes to shades. The color was created by accident in the mid to late 1800s as a dark shade of purple. It was later popularized by Queen Victoria, who fell in love with the color. Over the past 150 years, the color has developed other shades and tones from a dusty, dirty pink to a vibrant pinkish-purple. When I think of the color mauve, I think of the dusty, dirty shade of pink. Dirty is not necessarily a bad term for the color; it simply implies that it is gentler, softer and more feminine. Think more regal and elegant and less 1980s wall paper. When styling mauve, I dislike limiting it to a spring time color. Mauve should be worn all year long.


1.Neutrals. Since mauve is such a soft shade it is easy to pair it with softer neutrals like white, cream, and gray. Popular this year is pairing pink and olive green. As this spectrum of mauve falls on the softer pink side, pairing mauve with olive green is easy and on point for late summer and fall.
This outfit is perfect for summer and early fall. I've paired a white tee with a lovely rose gold print under an olive green vest and a pair of faux suede flats.





2.Color Families. One way to add interest and spunk to your wardrobe is to go gradient. Playing with colors that are related and next to each other on the color wheel. Mauve works wonders with pinks and purples. I love the concept of a dark purple, such as a wine purple sweater, lavender or lilac lace camisole paired with mauve and offset by a pair of gray boots or flats. Its chic, classic, and trendy. Another way is to play with analogous colors. I love the look of burgundy, pale purple, and mauve together.
I love this outfit for work. The burgundy tie neck blouse is perfect for the office and the wine red velvet flats tie the outfit together.




3.Greens. Color blocking is another trendy way to spice up your wardrobe and your outfits. When pairing with mauve, greens like olive, forest, or peacock create a strong contrast without looking tacky.
Why not have some fun this summer by pairing tropical teal and mauve together. It's a fun and totally unexpected.


4.Metallics. I love metallics and I love shimmer. There needs to be more of it in the world. When pairing metallics with mauve avoid gold as it clashes with the cream and tan undertones of the color. If you are after a gold inspired look, rose gold is the perfect compromise. For contrast go for copper. Want something complimentary? Wear silver.
This outfit is perfect for a night out. I love the how the shimmer in the beaded neckline and flats work with the metallic threads in the scarf.

Comments

Popular Posts