Nifty Neutrals: Khaki




I don’t know about you, but when I think of khaki, my mind immediately jumps to posh private schools, soccer moms, and that middle school teacher who always wore khaki pants and polos every day. To be quite honest, khaki is a bit of a snooze fest. At least that is the reputation it has developed. While khaki denim , like black denim, should never become the backbone or crutch of a wardrobe, it should never be discounted.



1. Jewel Tones. If you have been reading any of my colored denim skirt series or my nifty neutrals series, then you know that I love jewel tones. For us ladies in our late twenties or older, jewel tones make us look more polished and put together. Paired with khaki denim it makes for great work day wear.

Fall/Winter: For the colder months of the year, I paired this khaki denim skirt with a deep teal blouse with a floral lace yoke. I added a pair of gray faux suede boots, and a charcoal head wrap.







Spring/Summer: For the warmer months of the year, I paired a short sleeve tropical teal sweater with my khaki denim skirt, a pair of beaded sandals, and jade green head wrap.







2. Brights. Bright colors add personally and zest to an outfit, and to a wardrobe for that matter! A bright blouse paired with khaki immediately livens up this often bland neutral and gives it bold personality.


Fall/Winter: I like the contrast of something like a bright mint blue and a dark gray for winter and late fall. I kept that contrast as the focal point of this outfit by styling a bright mint blue 3/4 sleeve sweater under a faux fur vest in dark gray. I added a pair of gray faux suede boots and a jade green head wrap to compliment the mint blue.







Spring/Summer: What would summer be with out hot pink? Uninspired if you ask me. Then again I love hot pink in summer. That's why for this outfit, I paired a short sleeve sweater in hot tropical pink with beaded sandals and an apple green head wrap for contrast.







3. Denim. I had a hard time with this one. Normally I associate denim and khaki with soccer moms running to the grocery store before a game to buy capri suns and twinkies for an after game snack. It’s a one note wonder. Then it dawned on me, aren’t pastel florals always paired with denim and khakis? Usually. The key to pairing denim with khaki is this: Make your shirt or blouse the focal point. It has to have visual interest. Next, the denim must be dark wash. Dark wash denim is mature and sophisticated.


Fall/Winter: I kept the outfit simple. I paired my khaki skirt with a dark wash button down denim shirt, brown faux suede boots, and a sage green head wrap. For added pizazz layer a complimentary or contrasting tank top underneath the denim shirt. You can even added a faux fur vest over the top of the denim shirt as well.







Spring/Summer: Likewise, I kept this outfit supper simple. I paired my khaki denim skirt with a dark wash denim shirt, a pair of giraffe print flats and a hot pink head wrap.






4. Prints. I struggled with this part. To be honest, there is something about a print and khaki that simply makes me want to scream, and not for joy. I tossed it around, let it mull over in my mind for a few weeks. The more I thought about my aversion to prints and khaki, the more I began to notice that I had an aversion to pastel floral prints and stripes. While, I will not feature either floral prints and stripes together with a khaki denim skirt, I will showcase a couple printed tops that work well with khaki.


Fall/Winter: Since it is fall. I mean, November is basically here, I kept the fall color palette in mind as I created this outfit. I paired khaki denim with a rust blouse with a leaf print. I then added an light sage green jacket, brown faux suede boots, and copper velvet head wrap to complete the look.








Spring/Summer: I wanted to keep things away from the traditional floral prints of spring by pairing this icy blue confetti print blouse with khaki and a pair of orange-red flats for a fun contrast.








5. Metallics and Shimmer. As with any neutral shimmer and metallic add a special quality to your look. With khaki it will make it look more dressy and more festive. However, I recommend using metallic and shimmer (unless it is a color like cranberry) as a part of your accessories. Shimmer functions well as a subtle accent to a blouse or as a focal point in an accessory.

Fall/Winter: Red and pink are hot colors this fall. Especially red. However, I tend to be a fan of pink, therefore, it was a no brainer for me to pair this silver top with pink metallic thread with my khaki denim skirt. To complete the look I added dark pink velvet flats and a rose pink head wrap.






Spring/Summer: For a little taste of paradise, I paired a khaki denim skirt with a coral tee with gold embossed pineapples. I completed the look with a pair of beaded sandals and a chambray head wrap.







6. Neutrals. Normally, I begin each section with neutrals as they are easier to work with and often a person’s go to piece. As khaki is a neutral, all other neutrals will look good with khaki. Personally, though, I would leave out one neutral: Navy. Unless you intend to look like an employee of a major American department store, keep navy and khaki separate.

Fall/Winter: During the colder months, I opted to pair a black sweater with crochet lace sleeves with my khaki denim skirt. I added a pair of silver sequin shoes for visual interest and a garnet red head wrap for a pop of color.







Spring/Summer: I went more for spring with this outfit. I paired a gray knit blouse with a lace yoke with khaki. To complete the look I added dark pink velvet flats and a light pink head wrap.





Comments

Popular Posts