How Do I Mix it Up

Like most people, I find myself getting stuck into fashion ruts. I find myself reaching for the same type of shirt, or for the same denim skirt. I wear similar looking outfits day in and day out. Unless inspired by an Instagram fashion challenge, my outfits sometimes begin to look the same, just different colors. So how do I mix it up, when I start to get bored, uninspired, or find myself in a fashion rut? Below are four ways I like to mix up my wardrobe.

1. Colored Denim Skirts. I love denim skirts. I tend to lean towards a more causal style and denim skirts are often my go to pieces. Yet, dark wash, light wash, khaki and black denim skirts can be a bit mundane. Don't get me wrong these are necessary staples in my wardrobe, but worn too much they run the risk as being blaze. I like to spice up my wardrobe with some colored denim skirts. These skirts are fun, vibrant, and are easily dressed up or dressed down.


The problem many individuals face with colored denim is how to wear them. I usually wear my colored denim skirts with one of the following: a printed top, neutral top, or a graphic tee. If I am feeling particularly brave, I go for a gradient, monochrome, or color block look.

(Mint and Coral Color Block)

(Colored Denim and Printed Tee)

(pink monochrome)

2. Printed Skirts. Printed Skirts are another great way to add pop to my wardrobe. Although not my preferred denim, these skirts are so lightweight with a nice drape that it is hard to believe that they can be worn for formal occasions. When I style these skirts, like my colored denim skirts, I want the skirt to be the focal point. This in mind, I go for a neutral top in a color tone that best matches the skirt. On rare occasion I reach for a simple graphic tee to pair with them.



(with solid colors)

(with a graphic tee)


3. Printed Tops. I like my plain tees with a pop of a lace camisole peeping out from the hem line. I also like my plain tees with a great layering tank underneath. I also, in cooler weather, like my 3/4 sleeve plain sweaters with a lace camisole or layering tank. Seeing a pattern? When I want to deviant from this pattern I go for a printed top. Printed tops with any denim skirt is a wonderful and easy way to add a bit of pizzazz to any wardrobe.



(Neon Print adding some pizzazz to a dark wash denim skirt)



4. Graphic Tees. Graphic tees and tanks are a simple way to dress down any outfit, while adding visual interest to any outfit. They work well with dressing down printed skirts and colored denim skirts, but are easily paired with regular denim skirts for an easy weekend look.



(dressing up my teal denim skirt with a pineapple graphic tank)

So dear readers, how do you like to mix it up when you find yourself in a style rut?

Comments

Popular Posts