Four Ways to Stay Cool and Modest

This weekend marks the official start of summer,(setting aside June 22nd). With the hot weather just around the bend it can be challenging to keep modest yet cool during the summer months. Below are a few ways that I can maintain modesty, yet keep cool.

1. Avoid dark colors and heavy fabrics. The dark colors absorb more heat. Wearing darker colors will raise your body temperature much faster than wearing lighter colors. Although they are pretty, save the dark reds, purples, and greens for fall and winter. Wear brighter colors and lighter colors. Enjoy those fire reds and sunshine yellows. Futhermore, save the polyesters, wool and heavy cotton blends for fall and winter. Keep your fabrics light and airy.

2. Drape. During the summer months I like to wear blouses and skirts that have structure, but enough drape that they fall away from my body allowing air circulation.

3.Lighten the layers. I like to keep my layers to a maximum of 2. The more layers the hotter it is going to feel outside and the more uncomfortable it will be. The lighter and fewer layers you need, the better off you will be. For example, I like layer a lace bodice camisole with a v neck draped blouse. The essential areas are covered and I won't feel stifled by lots of layers in the heat.

Here, I am wearing my Dainty Jewells Southern Flare skirt which has a lovely drape and made of light weight fabrics. I am also wearing a pale pink wrap front blouse and a bright red lace bodice camisole.



4. Keep the hair up. If you have long hair or thick hair you know the struggle of hot hair sticking to the back of your neck in the heat. Nothing makes a lady feel worse than that. My hair is long, and very fine. Yet, I have a lot of it, which makes it deceptively thick. I order to beat the heat, I keep my hair up in either a messy bun or a Katniss Everdeen type side braid. I accessorize my hairdos with a head wrap which is coordinated to my outfit.

Side braid with a cherry red head wrap.



Messy bun with a jade green head wrap.


How do you keep cool and modest during the summer?

Comments

Popular Posts