Nifty Neutrals: Charcoal



Charcoal is a sleek, professional, and easy alternative to black. Since charcoal looks very similar to black, it functions in all of the same capacities as black does. However, charcoal is not as harsh as black is on a vast majority of skin tones. Charcoal is easy to dress up or down and transitions incredibly well from work to weekend. As a closet staple charcoal is an absolute must.


1. Color. As a darker neutral, more saturated and often darker colors create a more cohesive look with charcoal. That is not to say that other colors cannot work with charcoal. Bright colors in spring and summer freshen up this dark shade of gray. As always, be careful with the use of pastels as these shades tend to look a bit juvenile.

Fall/Winter: For the cooler seasons, I went with a rich merlot purple sweater with a pale pink accent. I added a bit of shimmer with a copper head wrap and then played off the brown in the copper with a pair of brown boots.







Spring/Summer: A create way to dress up charcoal denim for work is with a great blouse. I paired my charcoal denim skirt with a bright melon pink blouse, a coral head wrap and black flats.









2. Prints. Prints are one of my preferred ways to add interest to an outfit. When pairing prints with charcoal, it is important to keep the seasons in mind. During spring and summer neon prints, bright prints, and florals are a few of my go to pieces. During fall and winter, something with a bit of sparkle is always fun, as are animal prints, polka dots and burgundy/navy plaids.

Fall/Winter: plaid is always a safe bet when it comes to fall and winter fashion. I paired a navy and burgundy window pane plaid top with a burgundy lace camisole with my charcoal denim skirt. I then added a pair of black booties and a burgundy head wrap.






Spring/Summer: Floras are a fun way to add life and interest to your spring wardrobe. I went for a navy blue blouse with pale pink roses to contrast the deepness of the gray in my denim skirt. To complete the outfit, I added a pair of tan lace up flats and pale pink head wrap.








3. Neutrals. Just one more reminder that you can mix your neutrals as long as you make it look intentional. After that, have fun mixing your neutrals.

The truth is, I only have one outfit for this section. I love the simplicity of this outfit and its versatility. You can wear this outfit with little to no changes throughout the year.
I paired my charcoal denim skirt with a black knit blouse with lace detailing at the yoke of the shirt. I then added a Victorian blue head wrap and added a delightful pop of color with a pair of red crushed velvet flats.

Comments

Popular Posts